What’s the key to getting a curved firm, and totally tight backside? A full-scale attack on the muscles. “Your glutes responsd best when they are targeted from different angles and movement patters,” says Hers technical advisor Gino Caccavale. This multiangled approach goes far beyond traditional squats to target your abductors (outer hips) as well as your glutes, so you’re lifting and toning all the lower posterior muscles for a rounded, more symmetrical look. Cover model IFBB bikini pro Ana Delia De Iturrondo shows us how she helps keep her enviable lower half in top shape!
WIDE UP AND BACK BOUNDING
Works: Glutes, Thighs, Builds Explosive Strength
- Stand in an open area, feet hip-distance apart. Squat down, brinign fists in front of chin and keeping weight over heels.
- Explosively make two bounds forward, keeping head forward. Land in squat position
- Explosively perform two back bounds, keeping head forward and landing in squat position. Hold a medicine ball at chin for added resistance. Perform three sets of 10 rounds. (Up and back equals one round).
PRONE FROG GLUTE PRESS
Works: Glutes, Thighs
- Lie facedown on top of a flat bench with you hips at one end of bench. Hold edges with both hands, keeping spine neutral. Bend knees 90 degrees, keeping knees directly below hips (A).
- Keeping upper body still, extend legs, touching feet together above body (B). Hold one count, squeezing glutes, then lower down to start and repeat. Do two sets of 12 to 15 reps.
LEANING HIP ABDUCTION
Works: Core, Glute, Outer Thighs
- Kneel on floor a few inches to the left of a stability ball. Place right elbow and forearm on center of ball and left hand on hip. Extend left leg diagonally to side, forming a straight line from shoulder to heel (A).
- Keeping upper body still, lift leg to hip height (B). Hold one count, then lower leg without touching floor. Do two sets of 12 to 15 reps per side.